Main Article Content
Diabetes mellitus is a metabolic disease characterized by conditions of hyperglycemia as a result of abnormalities in the secretion of the insulin hormone, the work of the insulin hormone, or both. Metabolic disorders caused by diabetes cause lipolysis to increase, thereby increasing the level of VLDL, which will be converted to LDL. LDL disorders are the effects of insulin resistance. Streptozotocin (STZ) can increase serum LDL cholesterol serum levels due to the mechanism of ROS formation. Golden sea cucumber act as anti-hyperlipidemic because they contain EPA-DHA, saponins, and flavonoids. The purpose of these studies to determine the effect of Golden sea cucumber act as anti-hyperlipidemic. Experimental laboratory research is done using the post-test only control group design method. Using simple random sampling with 25 white male Wistar rats divided into five groups, all rats were given standard feeding. Group 1 without STZ induced, group 2-5 were induced STZ first, and then group 3-5 were given golden sea cucumber extract for 21 days with dose 4,25 mg/kg BW, 8,5 mg/kg BW, 12,75 mg/kg BW, per day respectively. At the end of the study, the LDL serum level was measured. The result of One – Way Anova test showed LDL cholesterol serum levels of group rats with STZ induction and given 12,75 mg/kg BW golden sea cucumber extracts (x=7,4 mg/dl) significantly decreased (p=0,005) compared to LDL cholesterol levels of group rats which were only induced by STZ without given golden sea cucumber extracts (x=12,6 mg/dl). This research showed that the administration 12,75mg/kg BW of golden sea cucumber extracts for 21 days reduced serum LDL cholesterol levels because golden sea cucumber contains compounds that work as antioxidants.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
1. ADA (2014) ‘Diagnosis and Classification of Diabetes Mellitus DEFINITION AND DESCRIPTION OF DIABETES MELLITUS,’ Diabetes Care. DOI: 10.2337/dc14-S081.
2. Damaiyanti, D. (2018) ‘KARAKTERISASI ESKTRAK AIR TERIPANG EMAS ( Stichopus hermanii )’, (November). doi: 10.30649/denta.v9i1.19.
3. Damasceno, D. C. et al. (2014) ‘Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetes Models: Pathophysiological Mechanisms and Fetal Outcomes,’ BioMed Research International. Hindawi Publishing Corporation, 2014, pp. 1–11. DOI: 10.1155/2014/819065.
4. Diana, F. M. (2012) ‘Omega3’, Jurnal Kesehatan Masyarakat, 6(2), pp. 113–117.
5. Elekofehinti, O. O. et al. (2012) ‘The Effect of Saponin from Solanum anguivi Lam. Fruit on Serum Lipid and Oxidative Stress in Hepatocyte of Diabetic Rats’, Rev. Bras. Pl. Med. v, 14(September 2012).
6. Graham, M. L. et al. (2011) ‘The streptozotocin-induced diabetic nude mouse model: Differences between animals from different sources,’ Comparative Medicine, 61(4), pp. 356–360.
7. Guyton, A. C., and Hall, J. E. (2014) Guyton dan Hall Buku Ajar Fisiologi Kedokteran, Elsevier, Singapore. DOI: 10.1016/B978-1-4160-5452-8.00020-2.
8. Jonas, A. and Phillips, M. C. (2008) ‘Lipoprotein structure,’ in Biochemistry of Lipids, Lipoproteins, and Membranes. DOI: 10.1016/B978-044453219-0.50019-2.
9. Katzung, B. G. et al. (2013) ‘Farmakologi Dasar dan Klinik’, Mc Graw Hill Education, 2(12), pp. 973–1007.
10. Majdina, S. et al. (2018) ‘Effectiveness of Combination of Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy and Golden Sea Cucumber Gel (Stichopus hermanii) on Increasing the Number of Osteoblasts in Diabetes Mellitus Mice Induced by Porphyromonas gingivalis Bacteria,’ DENTA. DOI: 10.30649/denta.v10i1.30.
11. Murray, R. K. et al. (2018) Harper’s Illustrated Biochemistry (31st Edition), Biochemical Education.
12. Putra, M. D. (2013) ‘Pemeriksaan Kolesterol LDL (LDL-C) Menggunakan Metode Homogen’, pp. 1–15.
13. Rasyid, A. (2003) ‘Asam Lemak Omega-3 Dari Minyak Ikan’, Oseana, Volume XXVIII, Nomor 3, 2003 : 11-16, XXVIII(3), pp. 11–16.
14. Safitri, I. et al. (2019) ‘Effect of Sticophus hermanii extract on fasting blood glucose and skeletal muscle glut4 on type 2 diabetes mellitus rats model’, IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science, 217(1). DOI: 10.1088/1755-1315/217/1/012025.
15. Saputra, N. T. et al. (2018) ‘Agen Diabetagonik Streptozotocin untuk Membuat Tikus Putih Jantan Diabetes Mellitus’, Buletin Veteriner Udayana. doi: 10.24843/bulvet.2018.v10.i02.p02.
16. Setyoadi et al. (2014) ‘Broccoli Juice reduces levels of low-density blood lipoprotein in rats model of diabetes mellitus broccoli juice reduces blood low density lipoprotein in diabetes mellitus mice model’, Jurnal Kedokteran Brawijaya.
17. Sukarsa, D. R. (2004) ‘STUDI AKTIVITAS ASAM LEMAK OMEGA-3 IKAN LAUT PADA MENCIT SEBAGAI MODEL HEWAN PERCOBAAN (A Study of Activity of Omega -3 Fatty Acid of Some Marine Fish in Mice as the Experimental Animals)’, Omega, VII, pp. 68–79.
18. Wahyudi, T. et al. (2015) ‘Profil Lipoprotein Plasma Tikus dalam Kondisi Hiperglikemia’, 4(2), pp. 116–121.
19. Winarsi, H. (2007) ‘Antioksidan Alami dan Radikal Bebas’. Yogyakarta: Kanisius.
20. Yanuartono et al. (2017) Saponins: Impacts on Livestock (Reviews) Saponins : Impact on Livestock ( A Review )’, 6(2), pp. 79–90.