Main Article Content
Gastrointestinal tract infections are still common in developing countries such as Indonesia. Gastritis as a gastric health problem has a risk factor for developing into a peptic ulcer or stomach cancer. This literature review aims to discuss the role of probiotics against the incidence of gastritis caused by Helicobacter pylori infection. This article based on a literature review of the role of lactic acid bacteria probiotics in the treatment of Helicobacter Pylori infection. It was found that the probiotic role of Lactobacillus and Bifidobacterium was non-pathogenic and they were often used as probiotic mediators for H. pylori eradication. Probiotics affect the gastrointestinal tract through immunologic and non-immunological responses. Utilization of probiotic intake as one of adjuvant therapy in the treatment of gastritis disease might help the effectiveness of antibiotic drugs. But, to be used as a single therapy still needs further research.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License
Copyright @2017. This is an open-access article distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/4.0/) which permits unrestricted non-commercial used, distribution and reproduction in any medium
2. Sipponen P, Maaroos H-I. Chronic gastritis. Scand J Gastroenterol. 2015 Jun 3;50(6):657–67.
3. Kementrian Kesehatan Republik Indonesia. Profil Kesehatan Indonesia 2011. Jakarta: Kementrian Kesehatan RI; 2011.
4. Peek RM, Blaser MJ. Helicobacter pylori and gastrointestinal tract adenocarcinomas. Nat Rev Cancer. 2002 Jan;2(1):28–37.
5. Mhaskar RS, Ricardo I, Azliyati A, Laxminarayan R, Amol B, Santosh W, et al. Assessment of risk factors of helicobacter pylori infection and peptic ulcer disease. J Glob Infect Dis. 2013 Apr;5(2):60–7.
6. Behnsen J, Deriu E, Sassone-Corsi M, Raffatellu M. Probiotics: properties, examples, and specific applications. Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2013 Mar 1;3(3):a010074.
7. Patel A, Shah N, Prajapati JB. Clinical application of probiotics in the treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection--a brief review. J Microbiol Immunol Infect Wei Mian Yu Gan Ran Za Zhi. 2014 Oct;47(5):429–37.
8. Gisbert JP, McNicholl AG. Optimization strategies aimed to increase the efficacy of H. pylori eradication therapies. Helicobacter. 2017 Aug;22(4).
9. Solnick JV, Schauer DB. Emergence of Diverse Helicobacter Species in the Pathogenesis of Gastric and Enterohepatic Diseases. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2001 Jan;14(1):59–97.
10. Homan M, Orel R. Are probiotics useful in Helicobacter pylori eradication? World J Gastroenterol WJG. 2015 Oct 7;21(37):10644–53.
11. Homan M, Šterbenc A, Kocjan BJ, Luzar B, Zidar N, Orel R, et al. Prevalence of the Helicobacter pylori babA2 gene and correlation with the degree of gastritis in infected Slovenian children. Antonie Van Leeuwenhoek. 2014 Oct;106(4):637–45.
12. Kodama M, Murakami K, Okimoto T, Abe T, Nakagawa Y, Mizukami K, et al. Helicobacter pylori eradication improves gastric atrophy and intestinal metaplasia in long-term observation. Digestion. 2012;85(2):126–30.
13. Shahverdi E. Probiotics and Gastrointestinal Diseases. Glob J Dig Dis [Internet]. 2016 Mar 3 [cited 2017 Nov 3];2(1). Available from: http://digestive-diseases.imedpub.com/abstract/probiotics-and-gastrointestinal-diseases-8624.html
14. KHODER G, AL-MENHALI AA, AL-YASSIR F, KARAM SM. Potential role of probiotics in the management of gastric ulcer. Exp Ther Med. 2016 Jul;12(1):3–17.
15. Wallace TC, Guarner F, Madsen K, Cabana MD, Gibson G, Hentges E, et al. Human gut microbiota and its relationship to health and disease. Nutr Rev. 2011 Jul;69(7):392–403.
16. Ouwehand AC, Forssten S, Hibberd AA, Lyra A, Stahl B. Probiotic approach to prevent antibiotic resistance. Ann Med. 2016;48(4):246–55.
17. Valeur N, Engel P, Carbajal N, Connolly E, Ladefoged K. Colonization and Immunomodulation by Lactobacillus reuteri ATCC 55730 in the Human Gastrointestinal Tract. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2004 Feb;70(2):1176–81.
18. Yang Y-J, Chuang C-C, Yang H-B, Lu C-C, Sheu B-S. Lactobacillus acidophilus ameliorates H. pylori-induced gastric inflammation by inactivating the Smad7 and NFκB pathways. BMC Microbiol. 2012 Mar 19;12:38.
19. Lam EKY, Yu L, Wong HPS, Wu WKK, Shin VY, Tai EKK, et al. Probiotic Lactobacillus rhamnosus GG enhances gastric ulcer healing in rats. Eur J Pharmacol. 2007 Jun 22;565(1–3):171–9.
20. Aragon G, Graham DB, Borum M, Doman DB. Probiotic Therapy for Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010 Jan;6(1):39–44.
21. Malfertheiner P, Selgrad M, Bornschein J. Helicobacter pylori: clinical management. Curr Opin Gastroenterol. 2012 Nov;28(6):608–14.
22. Giorgio F, Principi M, De Francesco V, Zullo A, Losurdo G, Di Leo A, et al. Primary clarithromycin resistance to Helicobacter pylori: Is this the main reason for triple therapy failure? World J Gastrointest Pathophysiol. 2013 Aug 15;4(3):43–6.
23. Kabir AM, Aiba Y, Takagi A, Kamiya S, Miwa T, Koga Y. Prevention of Helicobacter pylori infection by lactobacilli in a gnotobiotic murine model. Gut. 1997 Jul;41(1):49–55.
24. Mack DR, Ahrne S, Hyde L, Wei S, Hollingsworth MA. Extracellular MUC3 mucin secretion follows adherence of Lactobacillus strains to intestinal epithelial cells in vitro. Gut. 2003 Jun;52(6):827–33.
25. Yang Y-J, Sheu B-S. Probiotics-containing yogurts suppress Helicobacter pylori load and modify immune response and intestinal microbiota in the Helicobacter pylori-infected children. Helicobacter. 2012 Aug;17(4):297–304.
26. Aiba Y, Nakano Y, Koga Y, Takahashi K, Komatsu Y. A highly acid-resistant novel strain of Lactobacillus johnsonii No. 1088 has antibacterial activity, including that against Helicobacter pylori, and inhibits gastrin-mediated acid production in mice. MicrobiologyOpen. 2015 Jun;4(3):465–74.
27. Yang J-C, Lu C-W, Lin C-J. Treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: current status and future concepts. World J Gastroenterol. 2014 May 14;20(18):5283–93.
28. Papastergiou V, Georgopoulos SD, Karatapanis S. Treatment of Helicobacter pylori infection: Meeting the challenge of antimicrobial resistance. World J Gastroenterol WJG. 2014 Aug 7;20(29):9898–911.
29. Francavilla R, Polimeno L, Demichina A, Maurogiovanni G, Principi B, Scaccianoce G, et al. Lactobacillus reuteri strain combination in Helicobacter pylori infection: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. J Clin Gastroenterol. 2014 Jun;48(5):407–13.
30. Zhu R, Chen K, Zheng Y-Y, Zhang H-W, Wang J-S, Xia Y-J, et al. Meta-analysis of the efficacy of probiotics in Helicobacter pylori eradication therapy. World J Gastroenterol WJG. 2014 Dec 21;20(47):18013–21.
31. Szajewska H, Horvath A, Piwowarczyk A. Meta-analysis: the effects of Saccharomyces boulardii supplementation on Helicobacter pylori eradication rates and side effects during treatment. Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2010 Nov;32(9):1069–79.
32. Kafshdooz T, Akbarzadeh A, Majdi Seghinsara A, Pourhassan M, Nasrabadi HT, Milani M. Role of Probiotics in Managing of Helicobacter Pylori Infection: A Review. Drug Res. 2017 Feb;67(2):88–93.
33. Marshall VM. Probiotics and Prebiotics: Scientific Aspects (2005). Int J Dairy Technol. 2007 Feb 1;60(1):63–4.
34. Dadashzadeh K, Milani M, Rahmati M, Akbarzadeh A. Real-time PCR detection of 16S rRNA novel mutations associated with Helicobacter pylori tetracycline resistance in Iran. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev APJCP. 2014;15(20):8883–6.
35. Lee JH, Jun SH, Kim J-M, Baik SC, Lee JC. Morphological changes in human gastric epithelial cells induced by nuclear targeting of Helicobacter pylori urease subunit A. J Microbiol Seoul Korea. 2015 Jun;53(6):406–14.